(Chesterfield, MO, Thursday, November 29, 2018) – Do you know the leading cause of sleep disruption, affecting 50 million Americans? A condition called nocturia. Nocturia Awareness Week, which is held November 25 to 30 during Bladder Health Month, encourages people to take control of their urinary health.

People who sleep less than seven to eight hours per night are more likely to gain weight. And, one-quarter of all the falls that occur in older individuals happen overnight.

Sleep deprivation seriously impacts your health − driving after even moderate sleep deprivation is as dangerous as low-level alcohol intoxication. And, sleep deprivation can lead to diminished testosterone levels, which are linked to erectile dysfunction and low sex drive.

According to a recent Harris Poll, 66% Americans who suffer from nocturia have never spoken about it with their doctor, believing it’s a ‘normal part of getting older’ and there is nothing that can be done about it. Women are also 18% less likely to speak to their doctor about nocturia.

Over 60% of nocturia sufferers reported daytime drowsiness, irritability, and lack of ability to concentrate. Nocturia is associated with increased likelihood of depression, especially among younger men and women, 40% of whom have been diagnosed with depression. And of the overnight falls among older individuals, 25% are directly related to nocturia.

Nov 25-30 is Nocturia Awareness Week, part of Bladder Health Month, which encourages people to take control of their urinary health. Nocturia affects 50 million Americans and is the leading cause of sleep disruption, which can have mental and physical consequences, including: tiredness, impaired memory and concentration, moodiness, depression, heart disease, obesity, diabetes and a weakened immune system. However, most Americans have never heard of nocturia and think waking multiple times at night to pee is normal.

For more information on nocturia, visit www.whatisnocturia.com.

Comments are closed.

© News Generation, Inc. 2018