(Cold Spring, KY, Wednesday, October 28, 2020) – DAV (Disabled American Veterans) introduced the “Vision for Veterans”, establishing seven priority issues ahead of the November elections to help presidential and congressional candidates, as well as current lawmakers, understand the critical challenges facing the veteran community, and offer a series of concrete solutions to address them.
The list reflects both the most urgent needs of veterans and those issues which will have serious, long-lasting impacts on those who served, based on DAV’s nearly 100 years of expertise in service and advocacy and feedback from within its more than 1 million members. The document includes informative issue briefs and recommendations for a path forward through policy and systematic reforms that will:
- Protect and strengthen benefits for ill, injured and disabled veterans;
- Ensure timely and accurate delivery of all earned veterans benefits;
- Sustain a comprehensive, high-quality veterans’ health care system;
- Improve veterans’ mental health care and suicide prevention efforts;
- Provide equitable benefits and services for women and minority veterans;
- Expand support for families and survivors of disabled veterans; and
- Enhance veterans’ transition, employment and economic empowerment.
DAV is a leading nonprofit that provides a lifetime of support for veterans of all generations and their families. Every year, DAV helps more than 1 million veterans in positive, life-changing ways by helping them access benefits they earned, like healthcare, education and disability, and connecting them to meaningful employment opportunities. DAV is the nation’s most resourceful veterans’ service organization, keeping the promise to support America’s veterans.