(Fort Washington, PA, Friday, December 21, 2018) – We all know there are a lot of diets out there. But the best eating plan for each individual is one that helps you lose or maintain a healthy weight and is one you can stick to. Recently, the keto diet has gained headlines and everyone has a friend that’s diet is now considered “keto-friendly.”
According to Harvard Health, the keto diet was developed years ago to treat epilepsy in children and different versions have gained traction as an effective weight loss plan. What are the first few steps to acquiring a healthy, keto-friendly lifestyle?
- Count your net carbs – A keto-friendly diet is based around the idea of net carbs and you would want to limit to no more than 50 grams net carbs per day on South Beach Diet’s Keto- Friendly plan, which isn’t considered a strict keto diet but follows the keto plan for those looking for assistance with getting started.
- No beans, legumes or fruits – To keep your overall daily net carbs within a certain range this means even good carbs like beans, legumes and those in most fruits are off limits except for occasional indulgences. Stick to non-starchy veggies only, like leafy greens, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms and zucchini.
- Water is essential – Your fiber intake is reduced on a keto-friendly diet with the elimination of whole grains, beans and legumes. So, it’s imperative for your digestive system to drink sufficient amounts of water daily to ward off constipation.
- Variety is key – You could be at risk of deficiencies in micronutrients, including selenium, magnesium, phosphorus and vitamins B and C if you don’t eat a wide array of nutritious foods. It’s essential you compensate for any deficiencies caused by following a keto diet. Take a multivitamin and be sure you include your daily servings of non-starchy vegetables.
- Have a holiday plan – Carbs are king on Thanksgiving, queen at Christmas and just as plentiful throughout the year at special meals and holidays. Communicating with your family and friends beforehand can help you avoid peer pressure, can prevent offense and garner support.
The main takeaway is to make sure you’re following a keto or keto-friendly eating plan in the safest and healthiest way possible. It is important to try out this low-carb lifestyle for yourself in an organized and controlled fashion, so you can achieve results that are sustainable for years to come.