Expedia Study Shows Cruising Remains a Popular Vacation Choice
Sarah Gavin, Expedia Travel Expert
(Bellevue, WA, Thursday, March 6, 2014) – A recent study from Expedia.com, the world’s leading online travel site, found that cruises remain a very popular choice for American travelers. More than 6,860 respondents – Expedia travelers who have cruised at least once – revealed their favored ports of call, most desirable destinations, attitudes towards cruise safety and other preferences.
Of the Expedia cruisers who participated in the study, cruising continues to be the vacation style of choice. Fifty-five percent of respondents expect to take a cruise within 2014. Fifty-three percent of Wave Report respondents consider cruises to be superior vacations to any other type of vacation, while more than three-fourths of respondents feel cruises are either superior, or at least equal to, other forms of travel.
Other findings of the Expedia Wave Report include:
- Safety at Sea: 87 percent of Expedia Wave Report respondents consider cruising to be a perfectly safe travel activity with only five percent report serious concerns about onboard safety.
- Decision Making: 33 percent of respondents cite “ports of call” as their top consideration when booking a cruise. Price was the second consideration, at 28 percent, while “port of origin” and “cruise line” tied for third, at 13 percent.
- Cruise Companions: Cruising is largely a family affair with 60 percent of cruisers traveling with their spouse/significant other, and 44 percent traveling with immediate and extended family members. Two percent of respondents cruise solo.
- Best Features: 60 percent of respondents cite the ability to “explore multiple destinations” and the “all-inclusive nature” of a cruise as favorable features. When asked to rank on-board cruise criteria, 58 percent of respondents pointed to “food quality” as intrinsic to their satisfaction, followed by cabin cleanliness at 36 percent and quality of the excursions at 34 percent.
The Expedia Wave Report also revealed 2014’s most-coveted destinations as the Eastern Mediterranean, featuring exotic ports along the Adriatic Sea including Croatia, Cypress, Greece, Israel, Eastern Italy and Turkey, followed by Alaska in the number two spot.
Other top cruise destinations for 2014 are:
- Western Mediterranean
- Australia/New Zealand
- Southern Caribbean and Hawaii
- Northern Europe/Baltics/Scandinavia/Russia