Twelve-Year-Old Bethesda Leukemia Survivor Hosts Seventh Annual Kids Triathlon on June 19
(Bethesda, MD, Friday, June 10, 2016) – On Sunday, June 19, 2016, JUST TRYAN IT will run its 7th race in Bethesda, MD at Landon School. JUST TRYAN IT raises money for families with children being treated for cancer. In addition to the cost of treatment, families face many indirect costs related to a cancer diagnosis. These indirect costs include: travel, lodging, meals, childcare costs as well as special foods, clothing and equipment. The race is open to children between the ages of six to sixteen.
Kids are the ones training, raising money, and racing in honor or memory of children affected by childhood cancer. In fact, some of the racers are past patients or ones whose lives have been touched directly by this illness. While every child who crosses the JUST TRYAN IT finish line is a hero in their own right, it is the children whose lives have been forever changed by cancer that make up the heart and soul of JUST TRYAN IT. Here are some snapshots of our 2015 race in Bethesda.
One of the more amazing moments from this year involved the brother-sister team of William and Maddie who participated in our first North Carolina race that took place on May 1. Follow their journey that day in this three-minute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAAW_fM5sZQ.
Meet some of our Bethesda Stars:
• Ryan Darby (http://hyundaihopeonwheels.isebox.net/ryanandhannah/) Ryan is the inspiration behind JUST TRYAN IT. Age 12, Ryan was recently named the National Youth Ambassador to Hyundai Hope On Wheels Foundation. Ryan will be at our event on June19.
• Sophia (http://justtryanit.com/story/sophia-bethesda-baltimore/) Sophia was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma with Opsoclonus Myoclonus Syndrome when she was just 20 months old. Sophia will be at our event on June 19 as a racer and a Star. She and her mother will take part in our opening ceremonies.
• Avi (http://justtryanit.com/story/avi/) Avi was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, bone cancer, in the thigh bone of his left leg in April 2005, when he was 2 ½ years old. Luckily, the cancer was confined to the leg and had not spread elsewhere. Avi raced for years with a prosthetic leg inspiring everyone around him. Avi will be at our event on June 19.
• Nicholas and Zachary (http://justtryanit.com/story/nicholas/ & https://donate.justtryanit.com/fundraise?fcid=629832) Nicholas will race for the 6th time this year for his brother Nicholas. Nicholas’ battle with cancer began at age one and he lost his life in 2014. Team Nicholas continues to be a force our race and we were honored to release white balloons at the start of last year’s event in Nicholas’ memory.
• Akshay (http://justtryanit.com/story/akshay-bethesda/) What started out as a pain in my groin the summer of 2014, resulted in an initial diagnosis of testicular cancer. Now, Akshay is looking forward to starting his senior year in high school this fall.
JUST TRYAN IT, Inc. is a non-profit foundation supporting families fighting childhood cancer. JUST TRYAN IT seeks to positively impact the lives of families whose children have been diagnosed with cancer by providing them with financial assistance. We strive to instill the importance of philanthropy and service, promote wellness, and inspire tomorrow’s leaders to make a difference in their communities. Founded in Bethesda, MD, JUST TRYAN IT has expanded to host races in North Carolina and Baltimore and now supports families at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, UNC Children’s Hospital, Duke Children’s, and the Samuelson Children’s Hospital at Sinai. To find out more, visit http://justtryanit.org.
For media inquiries contact: