The First Commercial Crop of Blueberries Was Harvested and Sold 100 Years Ago This Summer
Mark Villata, Executive Director, Blueberry Council
(Folsom, CA, Thursday, June 30, 2016) – 100 years ago this summer, the first commercial crop of blueberries was harvested and sold. By 2017, global production is projected to surpass 1.5 billion pounds.
– In the U.S. blueberries are commercially grown in 38 states. Top producing regions are: Washington, Oregon, Georgia, Michigan, California, North Carolina, New Jersey, Florida, and Mississippi
– It is nearly a billion dollar industry in the U.S.
– Approximately 10% of the total U.S. highbush crop is exported each year, with fresh exports totaling more than 79 million pounds in 2014, up 60% from 49.3 million pounds in 2005
– North America produced 750.2 million pounds of blueberries in 2015, and is projecting a crop of at least this size again this year, and 940 million pounds in 2019
– North America is the top producing continent, followed by South America
As more people realize the lifestyle benefits of these little blue dynamos, consumption continues to grow. In the last 5 years, per capita consumption in North America has grown 47%.
For more info visit LittleBlueDynamos.com